In the midst of daily reports of coronavirus and COVID-19, we can look to God for answers, and pray for those who work around the clock to combat this outbreak on our Nation and throughout the World.
From first-hand experiences, and knowledge of how our ancestors coped with life’s challenges, somewhere in midst of reality; is logged a nugget of Truth, found in the Word of God.
We are now traveling on a pathway, that no one knows the way, except Almighty God.
In the book of Joshua, we find answers, based on the promises of the past.
Introduction: Israel had been in bondage for 450 plus years, and by the leadership of Moses and the Passover Lamb; God emancipated or delivered His people. From that point in time, they spent 40 years in the wilderness; filled with trials and test, while God proved Himself to them. Then after the passing of Moses, his successor was a man by the name of Joshua. Joshua lead God’s people out of the wilderness, cross the Jordan to occupy the Land of Cannon, this was God’s plan, God’s prophecy and God’s promises, being fulfilled, in the lives of God’s people.
Joshua chapter 3 God speaks to Joshua, and reminds him of God’s past performance, He reminds him of God’s present ability, which encourages God’s people with a future hope they have in what God can do!
- Joshua look back to what God has done
- We are reminded that God is able to do the same today
- This brings hope to what God can do in the future
God’s past performance, establishes our present peace, and gives us Hope for the future with promise. God is the same yesterday today and forever!
As God speaks through Joshua, and gives this message of hope for the coming victory His people will experience, I see three points in these verses.
In Joshua chapter 3 the last part of verse 4 Joshua says, as the Ark of God goes across the River Jordon, you follow the Ark of God; (we are reminded that the Ark is God’s manifested presence); we must always follow the leading of God! Joshua said, as you follow the Ark, it will show you the path you should go. When we follow the presence of God, He shows us the path we are to go; then! Joshua says in Joshua 3:4 “…that ye may know the way by which ye must go: for ye have not passed this way heretofore.”
(1) Unchartered Pathway (that no one knows the way, except Almighty God) We must follow God because He is the only One that knows the way.
(2) Unconditional Potential (with no limitations) Joshua 3:5 “Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves:” In other words, Church get right with God, lets confess our sins to God; sanctify ourselves. Joshua goes on to say, “…for to morrow the Lord will do wonders among you.”
- As we travel this Unchartered pathway, and get right with God; He gives us Unconditional potential | God wants to do great things among His people.
- God’s people with Great Faith says, tomorrow God’s going to do great things. I’m glad that the promises of God are true, and God is able to do wonders among us. God is able to heal, God is able to remove the scourge from our country; God is able to help us recover from the economic setback, because our God owns it all.
- In Joshua chapter 3 God’s people had never seen this pathway before
(3) Unbroken Promises Joshua 3:7 And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee
- God said through Joshua; “As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.” In other words, Joshua, you look at the past performance as I was with Moses, and I promise I will be with you. Joshua, I did not desert my people then, and I’m not going to desert you now. Remember the one that you look up to, and the potential you saw in his life; the previsions you saw in his life; the protection you saw in his life, the blessings you saw in his life. As I was with Moses, so will I be with thee.
- We can face the Uncharted pathways, because we have an Unconditional potential, and Unbroken Promises.
God’s past performance, has established our present peace, and gives us Hope for the future with His Unbroken promise.
I wonder what thoughts ran through Joshua’s mind when he heard those Words from God; “as I was with Moses, so will I be with thee”
Let’s take a look, and glance over the life of Moses, to see if we can find Biblical events, when God was with him!
- The first time we find Moses, is when he was placed in the Ark of bulrushes by his mother Exodus 2:3 she is trying to preserve his life from the evil plans of Pharaoh. Moses is a helpless little baby, floating down the Nile River; as helpless and defenseless as he was; God preserved his life. And throughout his life, Moses is recognized as one of the greatest Leaders in Religious experiences. God was with Moses when he could not help himself.
- When we come at a place in our own life, and the doctor says; medicine is not good enough, or our money is not enough; Look to God, He is waiting for you to call upon Him. He can help when we cannot help ourselves!
- Looking back on my own life, I can place my mind’s eye on area’s and acknowledge, that I absolutely could not help myself; but when I put my little hand in God’s big Hand; He reached down, when I couldn’t reach up, He lifted my burden.
Some would say, son, God helps those who help themselves, but the Holy Spirit showed me that; …. God helps those WHO CANNOT HELP THEMSELVES.
Those of you who are saved, think about your Salvation experience; you were lost and undone, without God or His Son. Living one heartbeat from a place called hell. You could not save your soul; you could not break the chains of sin, we all were a helpless sinner before, but God and His love and Mercy and Grace, through the finished work of the Cross, did what you and I could not do, He did what Religion could not do; He did what the law could not do; Salvation alone reminds us that God helps those who cannot help themselves. He was with Moses when he was helpless. God told Joshua, “as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.”
- God was with Moses when he needed a miracle. Over and over in the life of Moses we see the miracles of God at work. In Exodus chapter 7 through chapter 12, we read about those plagues of punishment, God sent to Pharaoh and Egypt, because of holding God’s people in bondage. Ultimately, Pharaoh’s heart was hardened after the death of his own son. Of the ten Plague’s there was one the Egyptian sorcerers could not reproduce; it was the Plague of Lice (Aaron struck the dust with his staff, and caused the plague of Lice. This Plague brought death to life, and only God is able to do that; the sorcerers finally declared, that the Plagues were brought on by God.
- Reference, God told Moses in Exodus 12:12 “For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.”
- The Blood of Jesus Christ has never lost its power, and when God’s people need a miracle only God can give His people a miracle. By definition, a miracle is when something happens that cannot be explained because God did it.
- When God emancipated His people out of a land of bondage and brought them into a land of promise, (that is a miracle only God could do).
- Our Family needs a miracle today; our Church needs a miracle; our Nation needs a miracle; people need a miracle; there’s nothing impossible with God; He has given His people Unbroken Promises in the Word of God.
- We find ourselves today @ a place we need Devine intervention from God. Just as God’s people stood on the bands of the Red Sea, with Pharaoh and his army were in hot pursuit; God’s people needed a miracle. This same God can come to our aide today, and bring us a miracle.
What can we do? Trust God, He knows our name, Ephesians 3:20
- God was with Moses when he needed daily previsions, and God’s will provide for your daily previsions
God was with Moses when he could not help himself; He was with Moses when he needed a miracle, He was with Moses in his needed daily previsions; He was with Moses when he was discouraged and disappointed, over decisions the people made, after Moses return off the Mount. God was with Moses when he came down to the end of Life’s journey.
When Moses closed his eyes on this side, he woke up in the very presence of God. God was with him to the end of the journey!
Thousands of years later in the New Testament, Jesus talks with Moses on the high mountain of transfiguration.
I’m glad at the end of the journey, God will not forsake His people; “…as I was, so will I be with thee”
God’s past performance, establishes our present promise.
In the midst of an Unchartered Pathway, we have Unconditional Potential with an Unbroken Promises.
If you’re looking for answers and not sure where you will spend eternity; Right now if you will bow your head, call on Jesus, ask Him to forgive your sin, come into your heart, trust His cleansing Blood; the Power of the Gospel will save your soul, your life will be changed, and you will receive that sweet peace that passes all understanding; knowing that Heaven can be your Home.
To God’s people; press on; lift up your head our redemption draweth nigh.
Luke 21:28 “And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.”
Written by A.D. Newton